Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Momocho

With a reputation that precedes it as a restaurant first and a bar second, Momocho on Fulton Road in Ohio City stood the test for both categories. Although some neighborhood locals pine for the old days of the Fulton Bar & Grill in the building, this establishment is creative and unique.


Let's start with the drinks - always a good beginning. An extensive list of tequila (over thirty different kinds) is a definite draw, although my personal palette calls for other drinks. I was slightly disappointed when I asked for a mojito, and was told that they don't make them - obviously you're supposed to order from the drink menu. I obliged and enjoyed a few Mexican beers - nothing out of the ordinary but good nonetheless.

Their margarita menu, on the other hand, was unique and exquisite. A variety were had at our table, with my two personal favorites being a cucumber and a cactus flower drink. Far from normal - the cucumber was calm and refreshing, definitely a pleasant surprise. It wasn't overwhelming with the vegetable flavor either. The cactus flower drink was very sweet, and was my favorite (as well as the orderer of it).

In my opinion, the main attraction to Momocho is its edgy food and hip atmosphere. It feels like a great place to be seen, and even on a Tuesday night was packed - we had to wait for a table. A highlight to their modern Mexican cuisine are the seven different kinds of guacamole - I highly recommend the smoked trout, followed by the goat cheese, and rounding out my top three would be the pineapple. If you like guac - it's heaven. Although not much on the menu would disappoint.

No comments: